With budgets tight, prices on the rise, people getting laid off we see a lot of consumers looking to stretch their dollar further. In a tight economy we always see a proliferation of companies, suppliers who are offering deals that seem to good to be true…But beware of the Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing.
Recently we’ve noticed a lot of companies popping up in the market claiming to be experts in the field of building and or designing. Their advertising is often glossy and expensive, their marketing aggressive and the prices they’re offering are below true market prices today. But when one digs just below the surface all is not what it seems. Some of these ”building companies” are no more than sales offices who subcontract out all the work and add inflated commissions to the end product.
How to avoid falling for the disguise?
- Ask for the company’s current BSA license to either carry our design work or building contracting.
- Ask for examples of previous work.
- Does the company carry the appropriate insurance cover?
- What are the qualifications of the salesperson you are dealing with?
- Has the company director (s) been bankrupt previously.
- Where are the registered offices of the company?
- Who is actually building your new home?
- Building a new home is the largest investment you’ll ever make. Why would anyone want to entrust such an important and expensive investment to anyone who is not qualified just to save a few dollars up front?
Currently the design team at SCDD are working on a new range of Sustainable Homes. With a focus on budget and energy efficiency.
Energy Efficiency Saves $$$$$
Most Building Codes and planning schemes require a minimum of a 5 star energy efficiency for Class 1 dwellings. (A House) Our new range of homes will have a minimum energy rating of 8 Stars* (subject to siting and correct orientation)
With each energy efficiency star equating to approximately $2000 in heating and cooling costs thats a massive saving for the home owner every year in the vicinity of $6000.
With the advent of the carbon tax and a lot of talk also about carbon trading in the future and investment in an energy efficient home will certainly pay dividends and is also an investment in our planet’s future.
At Southern cross Design and Drafting we continue ”designing for a sustainable future”.